A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

LPLIV wrote:

1. Is there an inexpensive online storage solution that I don't have to worry about my work being stolen you would reccomend?

No. The issues is upload speed and the amount of data you are talking about needing to bakup. Go read up on the carbonite or mozy sights. Gb and Tb are way way too much data.

2. My system will handle the extra drive but... What if it dies with 10K pics on it, the down side is I have to pay an inordanant ammount of money to have the drive torn apart, data collected and a get a copy of the pic files with out any degradation so that I can still edit them?

Theory on backup:
The cost of the system you choose should be related to the value of what you are backing up. If you have 10 weddings that is worth what, should you lose them and have to refund the brides or otherwise pay for the less? Suddenly ANY backup is cheap, huh?
You need to backup often- again, if you drive failed today and you had to replace the work since your last backup, what is the cost of that?  (I always have 2 copies - on the CF card then to the work drive, then from there to the backup drive. Once a copy is on the backup drive I can reuse the CF card). Some folks go even further and backup more/again/to disk.
I tried disks my first couple of years - too many accumulated, too hard to go dig one up when I needed something (not so much for the client but for an ad, my website, a print competition, etc). The reality today is the first 2 years of  my business has essentially no files saved at all - dvds do not last, shelved HDs do not spin back up reliably.
So I made a decision to keep ALL my FINISHED AND SOLD jpgs 'online' (on my network) all the time indefinitely and backup them up 'online' as well (external drives). YMMV.
As the data grew and I moved to LR for RAW processing I do something like this:
Copy RAW to the drive. Import to LR and edit. Portrait customers see their proofs in a bout a week. Once they've seen them and order I delete ALL their raw. at the end of the year I go back and delete all the JPGs they didn't buy.  At times I keep a few I like that they didn't in case I want/need them for marketing at some point.
Weddings I keep the culled raw as long as I can- until the bride orders her album if possible, but at least until she's seen her proofs for a few weeks. I keep the 'raw proofs' until the wedding is 'closed out' (all items delivered).
Its easy from within LR to delete the proper RAW files on the HD.
As for how much data one accumulates..I shoot 5D/2/3 bodies at sRAW - 11mp resolution. Even my sports leagues. Volume varies but there are weeks I put 3000 RAW files on the HD. Plus there jpg converts. It adds up.
I do weekly if not more often backups (actually I 'sync' my drives to their external drives - I have exact copies that require no software to restore -I've had issues with every backup program every made and do not trust them any further than I can throw a buick)

3. To those who have used online storage, do the files get degraded in any way making them harder to work with for any reason?

Thanks

Phil

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow