A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

Michael Fryd wrote:

Actually, your story is about the hidden cost of trying to save money by buying "cheap".

As many have pointed out, buying from a name brand manufacturer with support would have cost you a few more dollars up front, but saved you a fortune in time and aggravation.

Sometimes the "low cost" choice is far more expensive.

???

So it's buy apple or you bought 'cheap'?

I have free unlimited lifetime support...is there something better i'm not aware of?
Through costco I have 100% refund/return for I think 90 days, but it may be longer. I don't know anyone that offers a deal like that.

The 'issue' is the time it takes to move over 1.2tb of data, install software, run the updates on it, etc. Not sure anyone I'd have bought a computer from would have done this for me. I'm sure there are local services that could be hired - but I'd still have to dig out the disks, make a list of software to DL, find the serial numbers, etc. And perhaps explain where I wanted what. And pay them how much per hour to sit there and feed disks and transfer files around?
Instead I picked a week with nothing going on business wise - all my orders for christmas are done and should anyone call for something they can't have it for christmas now anyway.
As for a bad motherboard I only found that because I DID the work myself and its a warranty fix anyway and how many here have spend how many trips to the store trying different copies of the same lens, sending lenses back to the manufacturer only to be told they're within spec...THAT my friend is a waste of one's time.

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow