A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

With a win machine you have a C drive for the OS and programs. All come from the factory like that,. and a DVD drive and most recently card readers (4) - so there are 6 drives in the box.
C will alsyws be C, but the rest can be whatever. Then you add a data drive...if the letter isn't the same LR etc will be thourohgly confused.
Way back (XP and before) windows arranged things one way - well, YOUR way. As Win versions came out they made 'improvements' - public folders, user folders, default ones for downloads, music, pictures, videos, etc.
Well, I never used their structure and find I like mine better. That means more user-interaction than just a plain 'default' to most actions.
I have a custom vid card in my old computer, several printers, check scanner, tablet- all require software specific to the OS. That may be a windows thing, but it cerainly means you can't just copy all and get a working computer.
The new machine came with wireless keyboard and mouse and the old one was wired - again, different drivers.

New machine has a bluray burner, old one didnt. No clue on what software is included, if any. No clue if what I've been using (likely 4 years old) has a clue about bluray. Not sure I care...
I open programs from within programs, plug ins and such- it all gotta be in the right place and loaded the right way - this takes time. Maybe if youi do it often it's a no brainer -but sorry, I don't install XRite's camera calibration plug in for LR daily...or the plug in for PS for my canon 6100...or scanner driver/software...etc.
And my experience with apple products is limited to an ipod. And thats MORE than enough apple experience for me. Spent 8 hours once trying to get it to work again after a 'minor update'.

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow