A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414
Re: Not so sure

Kirk Tuck wrote:
Mac. Life without the computer drudgery.

So very very true.
But if say it aloud and you'll get labeled an iSheep fanboy or not a 'serious' computer user.

It's all crap. I was 100% windows for many a year. Software development, servers, enterprise use, home use - bespoke this - bespoke that - you name it.

Sure sticking with a PC is needed for some, but if a 'pro' photog is complaining about PC admin / upgrade hassles then they should spend some time with another pro who's Mac based and learn if switching will work for them.

IMHO unless you fall into one of these categories then you will have an easier time with a Mac.

1. You're extremely short on finances and even the cheapest used macs is unaffordable.

2. You're a high end gamer or tweaker and needs a hand built over-clocked watercooled SLI / Eyefinity rig.

3. You love everything about windows and would be depressed if working with it was not part of your life.

4. You have a medical condition meaning you are unable to lay down new memory pathways and therefore are unable to use ANY new hardware or software.

I could argue than if you fall into #2 or #3 you should still buy a Mac for your pro use and keep a PC rig too.

But hey what do I know, I'm clearly biased and caught up in some reality distortion field. Macs are overpriced toys for fools with more money than sense while I'm clearly unable to decide for myself whether my computer system fulfils my needs or perform my own cost / benefit analysis.

Also, every pro should have a back up computer just in case. Same upgrades, etc. One goes down you plug in the next one and keep on working. You DO have a back up camera, right?

Next upgrade will be between two machines with Thunderbolt. The migration should take minutes instead of hours.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow