SD1 vs Fujifilm X-E1

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
OP Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 6,468
Re: Question for Tom

Thanks for your comments!

Sigma was set to ISO200, using Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, which is excellent in the center when properly focused.  I shot the Sigma in Raw, then processed the raw in Sigma SPP, to end up with a JPG.  Then I further processed the JPG in Photoshop Elements 9 so that both images looked approximately the same in color and sharpness.  The sharpness was reduced in SPP in order that better sharpness enhancement of photoshop could be used on the image (as recommended here on the Sigma forum).  The original JPG will seem soft as a result.

Fuji X-E1 was set to ISO200, using 18-55 kit lens and sharpness was set to default.  I used the "L" "Fine" JPG out of the camera.  Then I further processed the JPG in Photoshop Elements 9.

I got a lot of interesting responses on the Fuji x forum as well.  Completely different side of the coin, I think.

One thing I remember was that somebody on the Sigma forum said that we could compare a bayer image downsized to half as many megapixels, with a Sigma image at pixel level.  So I shot a few medium resolution raws on the SD1.  When the Fuji image was downsized to the same number of pixels as the SD1 medium resolution image, it seemed to me that the Fuji image was actually a little better.

Original JPGs are here, go to my gallery if you want to download the full-res originals:

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh WG-4 GPS Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow