You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,621
Re: Canon, too little, too late

technic wrote:

I was disappointed to read that XZ-2 apparently it doesn't do (full) CA correction in jpeg; for such a second camera I would prefer to use jpeg for normal shooting to cut down on processing time. And I'm not sure if I can live with the size/weight of XZ-2, so the RX100 is still in the back of my head. It's interesting that the DPR enthusiast zoom compact roundup picks RX100 and XZ-2 for 'best all-rounder'.

Interesting indeed. The couple of sample shots they have there of the RX100 got me a bit worried as the corners are sharper than in my test shots:) Seems like DPR got luckier regarding sample variation with their RX100! (but really it depends on the angles and distances as this affects the distortion and equivalent correction amount applied). I understand this must be one of the things holding you back from getting an RX100. And I don't blame you really, I am quite "fussy" as well with these things, I returned 3 SX220s and only was satisfied with the 4th unit I tried, because of decentering. And that was a cheap camera. Somehow I didn't want to do that with the RX100 and part of the reason at least was that I am so excited by it as it is, imperfect but so much better than any other compact I had or tried before.

If I have to be honest, I am still not 100% confident about my desicion to keep it (not because of the corners in general but because my unit shows a bad upper right corner at or near full tele if not stopped down to F8.0). But very happy nonetheless.

Then again, when you look at photos like those here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50493000, you realise that there's no substitute for a good eye when it comes to making an impact and the more technical aspects of a photo take second fiddle.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow