I'm really starting to dislike you RX1 people

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,801
I'm really starting to dislike you RX1 people

I promised myself I wouldn't buy the RX1. Not because there's anything wrong with the camera, but because I probably have enough gear already and I didn't see what it would add. Right now I mostly use RX100, NEX7, and an 'old' a900 (usually with a Zeiss 24-700). I mostly use the cameras for travel photography and close portraits: the RX100 and NEX7 come with me on trips now (the a900/cz combo is just too heavy) and I'll use the 85mm or 135mm lenses on the a900 for portraits (see below).

Now I'm starting to drool over the RX1 because of all the enthusiasm here and some of the fantastic images I'm seeing from you (I miss 'full-frame bokeh'). Not sure yet if 35mm on a full frame (with no zoom) is something I'd want to use often enough to justify the expense (though, seen another way, it's 'only' one month's typical rent in my part of the world). Or maybe a 35mm fixed lens would discipline me and open up new styles of photography?

Any full-frame DSLR users out there (a900 users for example) who have become enamoured with the RX1? Is your full-frame dslr now gathering dust? Are the images you're getting out of the RX1 qualitatively different, or it really about compactness? I share some old images below so you can see what I typically shoot... (yes, I'm just a hobbyist, so this stuff is imperfect)

Some of my old a900 portraits:

And here are some NEX travel shots

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +6 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow