You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,621
Re: Canon, too little, too late

technic wrote:

YiannisPP wrote:

What is the size and resolution of your monitor? My reasoning was that when viewed at 100% in the size I posted, they correspond to how a fairly large print would look in terms of detail and sharpness.

I don't think you can directly compare, unless the monitor is a Retina type display (which is still very expensive). A good print can show 3-4x higher resolution than a virtual image with the same dimensions, displayed on an average monitor.

I think corner softness can be judged by the pylons which are pretty much in the worse corner of my unit in particular (OK, maybe not in the last 100 pixels!). I actually tried hard to put something at infinity at the upper corners (which turn out worse in most of my shots), which means you don't usually have detail at infinity in the corners in a landscape shot, I guess. Anyway, should really be posting these at the Sony forum:)

I often have scenes where there is plenty of fine detail on the horizon into the corners, e.g. with a treeline at sunset, or cityscapes. With scenes like yours, where most of the detail is in the middle and foreground of the scene, indeed the corner sharpness is less important.

I think I have made my point, which is that in my personal opinion, the RX100 can produce wide angle prints with acceptable corner sharpness. You don't have to have the same opinion and while it did cross my mind to ask you for an example shot of yours so that I can try something similar and show it to you, I guess that's taking it too far. I now feel like I'm trying to convince you and that was not my intention.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow