Any reason to look at M8

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
harold1968
harold1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687
Re: Any reason to look at M8

chekist wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to Leica - never owned one. That being said I like good quality lenses and have used M-mount lenses from Leica, Ziess, Voigtlander for few years on mirrorless cameras. For travel I just switched to Fuji X-E1. But despite the dedicated adapter, the camera has nothing to assist MF lens users (there is magnification I guess). The best camera I have owned for MF lenses was GXR, which had two peaking modes, second best Sony NEX5n.

But despite peaking, focusing M-mount lenses on those cameras was still slow, hit-and-miss endeavor. This is why I was looking at some rangefinders as possible alternative, not to replace but to supplement X-E1. Despite its age M8 is still quite an expensive camera. I wanted to get frank option from some M8 users about its capabilities by todays standards. I am sure I would appreciate the quality of Leica, but I am chiefly interested in the result.

-- hide signature --

its very good camera

construction is Jewel like and the results are pin sharp. ISO is good, in conjunction with lightroom, until around 640. 1250 is usable and 2500 can be but they are quite behind something like the Fuji X-pro1

however the Leica workflow is very particular and you will need to like it (e.g. only manual or AE mode, diffuse spot metering only, MF, etc.)

The manual focus is a dream, its the best MF I have ever used (including all the old film DSLRs)

Main downside of the M8 compared to the M8.2 and M9 is the slightly noisier shutter

-- hide signature --

www.haroldmiller.me

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fti
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow