Extreme birding,G5 and 100-300

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
wildlifr
wildlifr Senior Member • Posts: 1,634
Re: BIF settings

I like to try my hand at BIF whenever I get a chance. The challenge of it is a lot of fun for me, and as I do more of it, I keep getting better. I am now shooting with the OM-D E-M5, and previously with the G2; both using the Panasonic 100-300mm lens. Currently, my technique is to use AF-S, single or high speed shooting, stop down to F6.3 to give me a little more margin of error for focus, manual mode with as high a shutter speed as possible while still keeping Auto ISO below 3200 and IBIS on (although this is mainly because I keep forgetting to turn it off at high shutter speeds). The gull is an example of this technique. The other two are from within the last several months. My keeper rate (for me, for BIF, a keeper is a photo that has proper focus, and no visible image blurring at whatever crop I feel is reasonable) is about 75%. That certainly isn't the percentage that I think are beautiful pictures, just the percent with proper focus and no blurring.

Red-tailed Hawk

Northern Harrier

Gull

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow