Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
eventphotog Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: eventphotog - Why don't you consider whether it would be feasible to simply crop the pictures...

It is my understanding that the crop size of the DX mode on a D600 is in the 10MP range.  Frankly, there are times I wish when shooting the 18-270 on a D7000 that I could go further in both directions.  Sometimes in packed situation (night clubs) you can't get far enough away to shoot small groups with an 18 and other times I am stuck too far away from shots with the 270.    If 18-270 is too limiting on a D7000, shooting the 24-120 on a D600 would be even more restrictive.  I am looking at the 28-300 for the D600, both the Tamron and the Nikon, both of which are not very well rated and based on what I read, they don't seem to be capable of the full width and length as advertised.    The 28-300 will give me something similar to the 18 on the D7000 but the 300 will leave me short of what the 270 can do on the D7000.

nikonjohn wrote:

where you need to get more reach. A DX sized crop with your 24-120 lens would give you the equivalent of 36-180 and with 24.3 mp you have a lot of flexibility to crop and still get high resolution shots. Just a thought.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow