You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
Re: Canon, too little, too late

YiannisPP wrote:

Went for a walk to the hills again so here's one more shot of the same scene at F3.2, straight OOC jpeg, all default (actually with contrast -1, which is my default). I found that going more open results in a softening of the whole frame, certainly below f2.5. So I don't think I'd shoot below around f3.2 when I want that great sharp detail that the RX100 can produce (quite amazing at its sweet spot around f5).

It's also the case that the default output of the RX100 is relatively less sharpened than other models, so it can take a bit of sharpening with no visible side effects. So I also included a slightly sharpened version of the shot in my gallery if someone's interested.

Overall I think corner softness is not an issue, at least for me.

visible in the outer corners but nothing disturbing indeed; but I guess it would be more visible at original 20 MP resolution, instead of the 5 MP you show now. Also, the problem is most obvious at infinity and in these shots there is (almost) no infinity details near the corners.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow