NEX-5R - tendency to underexpose in low light?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Puddleglum
Puddleglum Regular Member • Posts: 259
NEX-5R - tendency to underexpose in low light?

Been sitting an a 5R since Thanksgiving, was holding off on opening it, thinking I might rather get the 5N for cheaper, or the (now cancelled) 16-50 kit. Finally decided to keep it, and the camera really blew me away this weekend! Until now I've only been using iPhones and P&S cameras, so the difference in indoor shots, even with the kit lens, is really dramatic to me.

Anyways, I noticed one thing, which is that for many of the low-light shots I took around the house of the kids, it seems like there is a tendency to underexpose? I have many pictures where the OOC JPEGs look dim, and the right quarter or so of the histogram is nearly or completely emtpy. I was using both Auto and aperture priority modes, and no flash.

Even in iPhoto it's simple enough to tweak the images to look better, just wondering if it is a normal behavior? Maybe the camera sees a face so it wants to keep a reasonable shutter speed, and also doesn't want to go over 3200 ISO, so it's okay with being a bit underexposed? Or just the dynamic range of the sensor is more than the scene needed?

I can post some example shots when I get home.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow