D800 vs MF Film, not a standard question

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
lukaw Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: D800 vs MF Film, not a standard question

nathantw wrote:

bass wrote:

I hope most people here realize that as soon as you scan a negative you are dealing with a digital file. You are converting analog to digital. If you really want to compare digital to film you have to have a analog path from capture to print. In other words you are buying an optical enlarger and setting up your own darkroom. The only other alternative is to find a lab that still uses enlargers,not scans. Good luck with that as they are quickly going away as is much of the chemistry that was used. I shot a Mamiya RZ 67 Pro 2 for 10 years. I sold it 4 years ago, and other than nostalgic memories, I don't miss it one bit. Jim

When I buy my D800 next year I'll do the comparison since I have a Hasselblad and a darkroom. I can even use 35mm, 6x6, and digital for a comparison, plus use the same lens for each comparison photo.

However, once I scan the print, though, then we're working with a digital file.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

Yes, and the quality of your image is as good as the weakest link in your processing chain.

In order to get a high quality image, your neg has to be scanned in a top notch scanner.

Most labs don't deliver quality scans.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow