Need your suggestion in first lens for wedding photography

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,155
Re: Need your suggestion in first lens for wedding photography

When I started shooting weddings for friends (and friends of friends) I used a 28~70 f2.8 on my D200. That was good for most of the work but it left me in need of a wider lens for indoor use or for large groups so I also used a Nikon 17~35 quite a lot.

On FX I found the 28~70 was not as long as I'd like for portrait and becuase I like to be able to get the shots I need without having to stop and change lenses I bought a 24~120mm f4 VR. That is a great lens for weddings and events in my experience.

I take other lenses too for when I have the luxury of using them, particularly if I take a second body. The 70~200 is a lens I tend to take but use little. It has superb IQ and fast AF but I find it is quite a big lens and can be intimidating.

Last time I shot a wedding I took a 35mm f1.4 on my D700 and a Sigma 85mm f1.4 on my D300, but I knew the venue, knew the groom, knew most of the guests,  knew what kind of shots they wanted (particularly of the bands playing in the garden after dark) and knew it was a fairly small informal affair. Normally I would not be without the 24~120 on the D700.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow