Need your suggestion in first lens for wedding photography

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Wedding Photography

datsphotography wrote:

Hi All

I am looking at moving into wedding photography, So I am looking to buy my first lens for shooting weddings. I am looking at the 24-70mm 2.8 and the 70-200mm 2.8 I can only get one at this time I know I will need both and a 14-24mm 2.8. as money permits till then I will rent what I don't have.

So back to the question If you could only get one what would you get 24-70mm or 70-200mm ?

At this time a shoot with a D300 and will move to Full frame later

Thanks for your suggestions

Ok, looking at your first and second post together. Wedding photography is one of the most demanding endeavors in professional photography and generally needs good solid gear along with good solid experience. It's not something you just jump into because you'd like to do professional photography. Moreover, it's not something you jump into with almost no professional gear.

Your question is like an auto mechanic wannabe asking which wrench he should buy first, saying he'll buy others later when he can afford it and knows more. You need to really get serious if you want to do this right.

There's nothing wrong with the D300 as long as you have two (count that.. one, two) of them with you at the events. That's not one D300 and one D3100. That's two D300 or better camera bodies and you'd better have mastered them. You don't get a second chance to reset the bias or auto ISO. Know what you're doing and be able to do it on the fly intuitively.

You'll also need a full compliment of flashes and battery packs loaded and ready with lots of extra batteries. You'll have to know how to use these on the fly as well. Know how to bounce properly when needed or how to use a diffuser on a flash bracket.

You'll need at least a compliment of lenses which can do low light chuch work without flash if need be. Most churches allow flash for the pro. You need to get there at some earlier date and check out the venue and write down exposures and locations where you'll want to be. Maybe ask the minister about certain requirements on his part.

I used to think the 70-200 was a must have lens for wedding work. No longer. I'd much rather shoot an 85 f/1.4 and get closer these days. It's a much lighter weight and faster rig for all day work. On full frame, I like the 28 f/1.8 or 24 f/2.8 for wide shots and formal groups shots. I also use a tripod and two light stands for formals. At the reception, one body gets the wide angle and another gets the 85 f/1.4. Both get SB800 or SB910 stobes.

Actually, I say all this but would no longer get out of the electric chair to do a wedding. My daughter is a pro wedding photographer and I originally set her up. I occasionally assist her if she bids a job over her head, but like it only because the pressure is not on me in that situation. She likes it because I don't charge her and I've done a bunch of them in the past.

My advice to you would be to intern for a year or work as an assistant to a successful professional until you can afford the right gear. You'll also get good experience under your belt. I'd probably start with a couple of D700 camera bodies used over a D600. They are much more robust. If you can afford a couple of D800 or D3S, that would be better or as good, but a pair of D300 bodies is fine. Just one body is a mistake.

Don't forget insurance and licenses in case bridezilla's mom decides to sue.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow