You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,621
Re: Canon, too little, too late

technic wrote:

YiannisPP wrote:

As for a smaller camera for landscapes, I know you cannot accept the RX100's soft corners but I would really recommend it nonetheless. Amazing detail and good DR. And unless you print 20X30 or larger (which would fall below 200 ppi), I don't think one's eye would ever be drawn to corner softness at any other viewing size (it would barely be visible, or at least not enough to be distracting I think).

from what I see it is very visible even at 11x14 inch, for WA images when the lens is used at f/4 or larger aperture or tele images at f/8 or larger aperture. I agree that RX100 has some good sides like better DR, but it is difficult to balance the pros and cons. If the new XZ2 was smaller I would probably chose that one ...

Well I guess it depends on your expectations of perfection. Here is a test shot I took when the sun came out the other day, jpeg straight out of the camera, no pp, default settings. The camera chose f5.6 as the light was good and it is its sweet spot. I will try to shoot the same at f4.0 or 2.8 tomorrow if weather permits. Forgive the (literally!) garbage content, but there's a lot of foliage everywhere for you to judge landscape detail and sharpness in at least two corners. This file at 100% (and depending slightly on your monitor pixel pitch, unless it's retina) should more or less represent how a 20X30 print would look. For me corner softness is not distracting even at this size which is the largest you would quality print given the 20MPs.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow