You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,621
Re: Canon, too little, too late

technic wrote:

And any idea why the SX230 IS does better, maybe more effective IS because of the small (slow) lens? Maybe camera shake is also less visible due to the smaller sensor and less sharp lens? I guess design of the shutter button is important too in these conditions ...

It's an interesting discussion, I often struggle with the light in cityscapes or normal landscapes around dawn or sunset, and there are many factors involved. Very difficult to say from the specs which camera will give the best image quality. Currently using DSLR, but also looking at something smaller for this type of photography.

Yes for sure there will be many factors involved but for me Canon's IS is just more effective on all the Canons I've had or tried (SX230, G7 and also tried a G12 for a while). Though the best by far is my older Panasonic TZ7, pure magic! I can get sharp 0.6sec shots handheld without even leaning anywhere or trying too hard to keep steady, it's that good.

As for a smaller camera for landscapes, I know you cannot accept the RX100's soft corners but I would really recommend it nonetheless. Amazing detail and good DR. And unless you print 20X30 or larger (which would fall below 200 ppi), I don't think one's eye would ever be drawn to corner softness at any other viewing size (it would barely be visible, or at least not enough to be distracting I think).

But you can always wait for the improved model of course. I will certainly be itching to buy it, but I don't regret buying the RX100 as it has really given me a thrill with its quality.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow