D800 vs MF Film, not a standard question

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dennishh Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: D800 vs MF Film, not a standard question

I have d800, what should i expect if i try the MF or LF film photography?

You should expect to be transported back in time to when technical ability and creativity where the essence of the photography experience. Your new experience with film will increase your ability to understand the new medium of digital photography. Neither one of these two mediums is superior to the other, other than the ability of the photographer to make them superior. Let's assume that you are lucky enough to acquire an 8 x 10 film camera and develop the expertise to use it, from that time on you will be doomed to try and duplicate the quality of the 8 x 10 transparency or negative. The D800 is coming very close to being able to duplicate just the 2 1/4 format. I have adapted my D800e to my old Toyo view camera which is capable of performing a nine frame stitch with tilts and swings. This stitch now becomes very close to the feeling of a well exposed technically perfect 4x5 transparency. I would highly recommend that you try film and never forget how difficult and toxic the process is.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow