You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew Butterfield Senior Member • Posts: 2,458
Re: Canon

Would be interesting to see if they can improve on the RX100, especially the corner issues that are related to the extremely compact lens design.

I swapped my Canon S95 for an RX100. I find the corners sharp enough, even at 28mm and f/1.8. And the truth is that corner sharpness is rarely an issue in photographs since the focal point is never in the corners. Especially in a camera that has a 'certain amount' of depth of field control like the RX100 – corners are often going to be deliberately soft. I understand that corner softness in these cameras is more to do with distortion correction than anything, so making a lens with less distortion might be the real challenge.

The RX100 is my first Sony after a string of Canons. I have no loyalty to any brand so I switched, but if Canon beat the RX100 I may just as easily switch back. They have a very hard job on their hands though.

I sold my S95 to my dad since I had a soft spot for it. I get to watch over it!

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow