PC-E Why does Nikon let Canon crush it in this area?

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: PC-E Why does Nikon let Canon crush it in this area?

Glen78 wrote:

Tilt-shift users are a very small portion of the DSLR market and with advanced computer PP is no longer a necessity. I am sure they are looking at sales numbers that are telling them that the additional sales that might be gained are not worth developing new PC-E lenses and that tilt shift is not a significant facor for most people when choosing a system.

With the introduction of the D800 and D800E, Nikon attracted a lot of landscape shooters. With landscapes, one often wants close and far objects to be sharp. With diffraction effects becoming noticeable at f/11, tilt becomes a useful tool for landscapes. Focus stacking works in some situations, but if there is wind or water, it often fails.

It seems that Nikon is aware that T/S lenses have become more important with the D800/E. The first sample image for the D800E on their imaging.nikon.com site was taken with the PC-E Micro NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED.

I would like to see them upgrade their PC-E lenses to include rotation between the tilt and shift. Improving the optics of the 24mm would also be nice.

The Rokinon (Samyang) T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC looks promising. I heard it was delayed until spring.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
(unknown member)
Ian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow