Olympus E-PL5 IBIS (& Shutter Shock too?) - Very Poor results for all but 1 condition

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
Pure physics?

The lighter the camera / lens combination is, the easier it will get shaken. Pens with 45mm lens are light, and the holding ergonimics are not as good as with EM5.

I have also some shots blurred by IS used on too fast shutter speeds - it is designed to help with relatively slow shutter speeds. I suppose 1/100s for 45mm lens is fast enough for shooting without IS. Longer lenses of course need shorter times for "safe" operation more reliable results.

Anyway, I usually use my Ep3 without the IS to about 1/60 - 1/30 sec times - but I use older FT-lenses, mostly 12-60mm lens or the older PL 25mm f1.4. Hold the lens, not the camera -principle added with a supporting table tripod (more weight + balance points).

The next shot is taken on a anchored sail boat, 1/15s f1.4, 25mm, handheld with that table tripod and iso 3200, IS1 on. I would have used la longer time, but the boat was not too steady...

On the way to Ilovik.

The next is from Split, Croatia. Same setup, but ISO 800, 1/30 and steady ground. IS on.

IS is a good help, but not for every shot. Antishock takes the fingerpush-effect away - more meaningful with lighter bodies, as you have noticed. Unfortunately EP3 has only 2s option - not useful without tripod and steady targets.

Good luck to you!

'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow