Win8 vs. Win7: How is it (ignoring new interface)?

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,502
Win8 computer delivered

The new Win8 Dell Inspiron 17R Special Edition laptop arrived a couple of hours ago and I have it up and running:

i7-3630qm
1tb hd
8gb ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2gb
4 USB 3.0 ports

Of course, the new Win8 interface is giving me a few headaches trying to figure out, but before I do anything like install Classic Shell I want to try and figure it out.  I try to give new stuff a chance and learn them before I make any decisions about what I want to do.  I haven't tried installing Lightroom or other software yet.

It is strange how when I run some of the Windows programs that some of them have an X in the upper right hand corner like usual that I can use to kill them, but some other programs fill the screen and there appears to be no way to kill them except to bring up the task manager and kill the program.  For example, I started IE from the tile on Start screen and IE fills the whole screen with the address bar and a few other controls at the bottom.  I haven't figured out how to kill IE now.  Of course, there must be a way.  I will keep plugging away.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
BJN
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow