Helsinki by night with 6D and Sigma 35mm 1.4

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Thanks for posting

NektonFi wrote:

I borrowed EOS 6D and a Sigma 35mm 1.4 yesterday to test them out.

I have background with Nikon cameras (currently D800e, previously D3s and D3). I have been frustrated with AF in the dark with fast lenses, especially wide ones and 6D got my attention at Photokina.

I was quite pleased at how 6D and Sigma combo performed in the dark. Very few misses. I only used the centre AF point though. I tried continuous AF as well and it seemed to work fine as well. Is there a way to know whether the focus is locked or not from the viewfinder? Canons are better suited to be used with just one hand than Nikons. I found it annoying though, that you can't change the AF mode without taking your eye from the viewfinder. I think the VF should display you the AF mode when you press the AF mode button.

6D might not be the most exciting camera in the market but it seems to tick the right boxes for me though: reliable AF in the dark and good image quality. Actually I found the IQ to be a lot better than 5D3, which suffers from shadow noise. I didn't find this to be an issue with 6D.

Results here:

Helsinki by night with 6D

they were processed with Lightroom 4.3. I used default NR on all photos. I often find it most pleasing compromise between detail and grain.

Some great shots.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow