You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,621
Re: Canon, too little, too late

Gwen22 wrote:

YiannisPP wrote:

Gwen22 wrote:

In fact the RX100 is a bit smaller than the G15, a bit faster , is better for video, much better in good light but have a weaker IS (for still) and for everything above 75mm (or arround) the G15 is a better camera in low light..................

I have never used 75mm+ in low light I think...

By the way, I just got the RX100 and I think its IS is more likely closer to 2 stops worse than my Canon SX230. A bit disappointing there.

Same for me I , in low light I shoot WA (city landscape or inside party), and better does not mean good , what I mean is that all compact are very limited in mlow light ability above 50 mm due to their not that fast lens combined with their small sensor ............... that's said the G15 is better than the RX 100 above 75 mm (or arround) .

You think? As I said I wouldn't zoom in low light (well, now that I think about it maybe some landscape at dusk) but I would assume there is no substantial difference between the two at 100mm. The G15's lens is about 1 2/3 stop brighter but the RX100's noise-detail characteristics are also worth about 1-2 stops more. What do I have wrong?

I took may be 30/40 picture with the G15 at 100 mm to compare IS (it is a very small amount for statistic I agree on that) and the same day on the same (stupid suject: barre code) subject I do the same with the RX100 and found a difference of arround 1 stop (I go as low as 1/20 sec with the rx 100 and 1/10 sec with the G15 with 80% of very sharp picture), BUT I own a RX100 and by the way I am much more familiar with what may false a bit the test!

I was referring more to the minimum shutter speed I can use in order to get a sharp pic in 2-3 tries. That's more like 1/6 sec for the RX100 and 1/2 sec for my Canon SX230.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow