Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anker BergSonne Regular Member • Posts: 322
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

larrywilson wrote:

I would highly recommend mounting an L bracket such as the one I use from Kirk Enterprises. This would take most of the strain off the tripod thread on the camera when attaching a strap to the tripod hole in the L bracket.

Larry

This will definitely work because it will eliminate the twisting force from the tripod mount and only leave the forces in line with the screw. The damage happens when you use a mount that has the strap attached far from the thread and you apply a force that tries to bend the attachment rather than pull it away from the bottom plate.

Yesterday I saw an article describing a DIY shoulder strap that used a huge eye bolt. That's exactly what you don't want to use.

I also echo the advice NOT to try hammering, pressing or exploding the plate back into shape. You will end up with a destroyed camera. Fill the crack with silicone and use it as is.

Anker

Anker BergSonne's gear list:Anker BergSonne's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow