New RX100 user, tips wanted

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Allan Senior Member • Posts: 1,041
Re: New RX100 user, tips wanted

These are some awesome tips. I especially like the one about disabling some of the functions available in the Fn button. There are some features there that I probably won't be using very often. Thanks!

tesilab wrote:

I advise that you set up the panorama direction to be "up". This will produce larger panos, since the wider dimension of the sensor will become the short dimension of the pano.

For beginner's, I suggest leaving your metering set to multi-metering, use simple center focus, and just use focus and recompose for most shots.

I would turn of the sounds, and rely on visual focus confirmation cues.

Consider customizing the customizable points on the rear wheel for exposure comp, iso, and drive mode.

If you suspect you won't use many of the functions reachable through the function button, then disable those to make navigation amont the remaining settings faster. (This is missing from the RX1, I wish it had that feature)

As an aid to shooting really slow shutter speeds (when necessary, or when trying to preserve low iso for best results) try setting drive mode to self timer (at 2 seconds) rather single image mode. This will help avoid motion blue.

Allan's gear list:Allan's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow