Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ando72 Regular Member • Posts: 413
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Having read through this thread, here are my thoughts:

• If it was me, and Nikon said they couldn't/wouldn't fix it, I would be pulling out the tools and removing the baseplate to see how it was attached and why it may have bent.  At first glance my thought is that something is not right with the way the baseplate has been screwed in.  This might also allow you to install a new/used baseplate if you can find one.
  • Fixing a tripod mounting plate SHOULD HELP to distribute the forces, but it will depend on how tightly it is screwed in.  This is a common technique used in structural design, but again it depends highly on how tight the joint is; it's possible that with a single screw point you can't make the joint tight enough.
  • For this same reason, the guys worried about carrying their cameras around attached to tripods (over the shoulder) have much less to worry about.
  • To the people who suggested Nikon should warn people about the suitability of using the tripod mount for other purposes - seriously?  It's called a tripod mount, and the camera has dedicated sling mounting points, and you need to be told, in writing, that this is not its intended purpose??!!

Shane

Ando72's gear list:Ando72's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
BJN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow