OMD E-M5 Vs G5?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,257
Re: OMD E-M5 Vs G5?

texinwien wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

So its up to you! I have both sort of (Gh2 which has the same sensor as G5)

Well, sure, if you mean they're both flat and they gather light and then deal with it electronically, then I guess they're the same.

From the GH2 review (March, 2011), "New sensor - multi-aspect Live MOS with 18.3 million total pixels"

From the G5 preview, "Under the hood, the G5's 'newly developed' 16MP Live MOS sensor is what Panasonic calls a 'digital sensor' with some of the processing happening on the chip itself."

Huh - wonder why DPReview put 'newly developed' in quotes. Could it be because they doubt the sensor is actually a new sensor. In other words, that they're calling attention to the fact that Panasonic isn't claiming the G5's sensor is a brand new sensor?

I bet it is, because that appears to be the case. See here, for instance:

Confirmed: Panasonic G5 Uses the GH2 Sensor with Multi-Aspect Disabled

Might want to save your snark for things you're better informed about.

tex

From DxOMark, "Panasonic coins the G5’s sensor as ‘digital’ Live MOS, and claims this new chip gives the camera an improved low light performance over its more dated sibling."

DxOMark

I take the term "new chip" to mean "new."  But of course manufacturers have mislead consumers before.

-- hide signature --

Hey, it ain't rocket surgery.
Larry
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow