OMD E-M5 Vs G5?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,511
Re: and around the circle you go ...

Anders W wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

It is interesting how some people seem to feel that their own previous posts are a useful reference in a debate

Thanks! So by way of summary:

1. You are not willing/able to summarize what you want to say. Apparently, however, you do not want to say any of the following:

• If you are on a budget, get the G5. If you are not, get the E-M5.
  • The G5 is the better camera even if we disregard the price difference.
  • Those who prefer the E-M5 to the G5 and consider the difference worth the money have been conned.

2. You are not willing/able to back up your claims with regard to either the stills or video performance characteristics of the two cameras.

3. You are not willing/able to back up your claims when it comes to the lighting and exposure used by DPR for the studio scene samples you employ in your "test".

Anders W wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

It is interesting how some people seem to feel that their own previous posts are a useful reference in a debate

Thanks! So by way of summary:

1. You are not willing/able to summarize what you want to say. Apparently, however, you do not want to say any of the following:

• If you are on a budget, get the G5. If you are not, get the E-M5.
  • The G5 is the better camera even if we disregard the price difference.
  • Those who prefer the E-M5 to the G5 and consider the difference worth the money have been conned.

2. You are not willing/able to back up your claims with regard to either the stills or video performance characteristics of the two cameras.

3. You are not willing/able to back up your claims when it comes to the lighting and exposure used by DPR for the studio scene samples you employ in your "test".

Can't we give this a rest?

As an owner of the G5, I was interested in the original question, so I have followed the thread.

The potential reasons not to buy an EM5 seem pretty clear to me:

1. It costs more than you want/have to spend.

2. You hate retro styling

3. You want a built-in flash, or a silent shutter, or a fully articulating screen.

4. You find it hard to handle -- too small, not much of a grip (and you don't want to pay extra for a grip)

5. You have an anti-Olympus identity.

6. You've paid for a lot of OIS Panny lenses and have avoided the Oly non-stabilized ones, so you don't see IBIS as that much of an advantage.

7. You've become accustomed to where things are located on Panny cameras. They all share certain similarities of control / menus.

7. You have persuaded yourself that Panny cameras are actually rebranded Leicas.

Some of these (1, 3, 4, and 7) are decent reasons. Even 2 and 5 are acceptable -- some of us drink Coke our whole lives and avoid Pepsi for no better reason -- many people build their identity partially on the basis of product lines. Style and aesthetics count. To each his own in these areas.

The reasons to buy an EM5 also seem pretty clear:

1. The cost is affordable to you.

2. You don't care to go through all the fuss of analyzing whether the benefits of the EM5 are worth the increased cost over other models. You simply want the benefits.

2. You want the _best_ image quality achievable from your micro four-thirds lenses, especially in low light. Your definition of "good enough" is "best possible."

3. You love the retro styling.

4. You haven't accumulated a bunch of OIS lenses and/or you want ALL of your lenses stabilized.

5. You love Oly colors.

6. You are into wireless flash, anti-shock delays, tilting (rather than fully articulating) screens, and a variety of other features I could list if I wanted to waste time doing comparisons between spec sheets.

7. You don't mind carrying add-ons like a flash or attachable grip.

8. You love the small size.

9. You think Olympus products must be superior because Olympus is a historic optics/camera manufacturer while Panasonic is not.

10. You used to own a Panasonic eight-track player and were never satisfied with the sound.

I love my G5 because it is a great enthusiast's camera for the price. My point of comparison is what I used to get with film, and the G5 stands up very, very well.

I'm sure I would love the EM5 as well, and might be even happier with the image quality. I will admit though, that I don't care at all for the retro styling even though I can remember when many cameras looked like that. My main beef with Olympus in m4/3 is that their high quality lenses are not stabilized. I own a couple and wish that they were.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow