How Long to Let Calibration Prints Dry Using Colormunki

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
irvweiner Contributing Member • Posts: 705
Re: How Long to Let Calibration Prints Dry Using Colormunki

Some additional suggestions:

If you have several different papers to be profiled, print the #1 test charts for all first. Let them all dry overnite or less, select one, scan it and continue to print its 2nd stage chart. Repeat for the others

It is unfortunate that X-rite does not permit us to sequence the other #1 test prints done in this  batch mode. Being able to store the data file for each #1 print & scan would allow us to create a set of 2nd stage charts without exiting the program. After a reasonable drying period these charts can be scanned and the final profiles be  created.

Thus on Day 1, we print & scan a group of various papers, a separate data file being created for each paper. On Day 2 or earlier we retrieve each data file and print out the 2nd stage charts, on Day 3 or earlier we retrieve and scan each 2nd stage chart and create the actual profile. This is a proper protocol for creating profiles!

It is also important to note that temp & humidity will affect the drying times necessary, these 2 factors will also affect your print quality during the changing seasons. Talk about Winterizing your printer and its profiles!

For those using the 3800/80 a maintenance tank tip. a resetter is available  from Jon Cone (& others) but pricy ~$80. No comment about ROI, just convenience. I do not care to go thru the messy removal of the ink loaded foam and its tedious replacement--to avoid this situation I have inserted a plastic bottle cap into the D-shaped open space to capture the waste ink. The bottle cap is the typical size of many condiment/food containers, within a month you can rescue a handful from the kitchen and possibly even more from wine bottles with screw-on caps!!  Every 2 weeks I pop the maint cart and pop the inky cap if I have spares--if not I rinse it clean and replace. No way do I want to be prevented from finishing a 'hot' job because of a full maint tank and no spare.

irv weiner

PS: It would be quite helpful to our print community if we follow-up on tracking the color changes during the drying time. We'all use different papers and inks, now using our Munkies & Spyders a data base can be built up quickly-- permitting us to get a better handle on this broad product array. I am willing to consolidate the results and graphs. Ten minutes may be to soon for certain papers and 24 hrs much to long for others--this effort will yield the appropriate time required.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow