Wait for E7 or just get a Nikon D5200 or Pentax K5 II or K30

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Historicity Contributing Member • Posts: 783
Plan B

I have several Olympus DSLRs, the most modern being the E-3.  I have never been particularly interested in having video but some time ago, anticipating the Oly failure I decided to slowly add a second system, the Pentax.  I have just two bodies, the K-20 & the K-7, but the latter has video capability.  Since video hasn't been of prime interest to me I wasn't surprised to discover that I was unhappy with the K-7s video.

All of that to say that if I were in your shoes and happy with my E-510 I would get an E-3 which many thought was almost as good as the E-5 when it came out (and some still do) and then get a dedicated camcorder.  Amazon.com has the Sony HDR-CX260V for about $390 & while I don't know this for a fact I suspect it will outperform the video provided by any dslr.

I did a quick check of eBay and found this E-3 for $575 with 900 clicks on it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-E-3-DSLR-Body-Only-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/170955427182?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item27cdbccd6e

The HDR-CX260V plus the E-3 would set you back about $1000 but you'd be able to use your E-510 lenses.

Also, you wouldn't need to do it all at once.  Buy the camcorder now because your main concern is that you don't have video capability and then get your E-3 later on . . . or if Olympus decides to scrap the 4/3 you could switch to Pentax with a clear conscience. 

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-600 Olympus E-5 +59 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow