Is prior DSLR ownership needed to appreciate a NEX?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
CosmoZooo Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Definitely

A Nex is not the camera to learn the basics of photography, shutter speed/f stop and iso and the relationships between them. while it is possible to set a Nex up to give control over these things, it doesn't come naturally to the Nex. You need to know what each of these functions does and set the camera up to enable you to control these effortlessly. A camera with dedicated controls for each of these functions is a better instrument to learn your stuff. Dslr cameras (mainly) have these dcontrols easily identifiable and up front rather than having to be sought and programmed through the menus.

I think it's ironic that your post is the exact opposite of what I have posted earlier. I am exactly the guy coming from P&S and thanks to NEX and my desire to make better photos with it, is what pushed me to learn all the basics. I can now explain this to some of my DSLR friends who keep using them in Auto.

One very interesting thing you should note is that using OVF requires a lot more skill then using EVF because you do not have a live view. As such a beginner maybe a lot less likely to experiment with the shot because they may not understand what it will look like without the live View, I don't. But with EVF I can see what the result will be right away, I understand which parameter will give me a better exposure very easily and can make the decision which to adjust based on what I am shooting. On a DSLR you will be forced into an LCD live view. I can tell you from personal experience that NEX is an excellent camera to learn the basics and to understand how they relate to each other especially if you have the EVF.

Also, I am not sure how much experience you have with Sony controls, I don't have any with DSLRs, but on the Sony NEX-6 in a full manual M, the ISO can be adjusted with a wheel under the mode selector, the shutter speed with a wheel on the back (near LCD), both very fast and easy without taking your eyes of the EVF, the ISO will require one click on the back wheel to right. Again, maybe not as good as the Tri-navi on the NEX-7 which probably solves the one click ISO issue, but still very very good. So how great the controls are also depends on which NEX, but I think both 6 and 7 are pretty good without any customization - I am sure not every DSLR especially entry one has great controls.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow