David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
An evaluation of the book

I received my hard copy yesterday. As soon as I opened it, the first 12 physical pages fell out of the binding, and I'm totally anal about treating my books like gold. I'll have to use Amazon's generous policy to exchange it. But I'm going to wait to the limit (30 days I believe) because hopefully by then the publisher will have received a lot of complaints and they'll improve the binding. Besides, I've waited so long for this book I don't want to toss it back at Amazon before I've read the whole thing.

As for the contents itself, it's the kind of documentation that I find extremely helpful. This means it is often repetitive, so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth. The exposition is also hierarchical, which also helps, if you're the type who likes to read from cover to cover.

However, I'm finding numerous mistakes. Sometimes the same bullet list documents the same feature several bullets apart, and the two bullets contradict each other! Also, the coloring of the symbols and text in the OLED as described in the text does not match the coloring either in my own OLED or the photographs in the book! So a second edition is going to be badly needed.

In spite of all this, I'm learning a lot. I couldn't stand the documentation that came with the camera, either the hard copy or the PDF on the disk. Figured out most of what I do know (before getting the book) from pressing buttons at random and the Busch book is showing me how inadequate trying to learn this camera is on your own. At least for me.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow