Is prior DSLR ownership needed to appreciate a NEX?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
CosmoZooo Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Is prior DSLR ownership needed to appreciate a NEX?

I came from P&S to NEX-6 and I have to say that only now nearly 3 weeks later I am starting to come to terms with my purchase which I have questioned extensively.

The cool thing that thanks to this forum and my desire to understand why my indoor pictures are not clearly amazing I came to a fair understating of the relationships between ISO, shutter speed and F-stop, with the F-stop being the most obscure one to me before. I understand the crop factor, the 35mm equivalence, how F-stop on one camera and lens might relate to another. I can actually do a better job today with a given scene then the Auto on the camera, albeit not very quickly. The fact the the EVF unlike the OVF is providing a live view makes it so much easier to learn and appreciate.

On the other hand, I came to a realization that get better low light photos, and get nicer portraits I will have to get better lenses then the 16-50PZ and therefore spend more money then the grand I already spend, which I don't like.

I could have gotten a cheaper NEX but the NEX-6 was the only one without the video overheating issue. I will stay with it and get over my value shock before I invest anymore. I've questioned whether I am enough into photography to make use of the system. I've questioned whether RX-100 would have been a better thing for me but if I ever change my mind and want to try a legacy lens or get telephoto zoom, I won't be able to...so I will stay with NEX-6 and take my chances.

But consider that if you want really nice bokeh (shallow DOF=blurry backgrounds) and super sharp subjects, you will need to get more lenses down the line. Period. 16-50 is a good start but it will only take you so far. On the other hand the little flash on the NEX-6 is nice and recycles incredibly quickly for what it is, so with a little practice using it indoors you can still get very nice results without overblown bright spots.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow