OMD E-M5 Vs G5?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,428
Re: hmmm ...

richarddd wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

I use unstabilized lenses most of the time on GH2, G5 and GF3. Incredible that it is still possible

Of course it's possible , but if you're shooting in dim light without a tripod or other bracing, image stabilization is very nice. There's a limit to how far good technique, fast glass and high ISO can take you in those conditions. IBIS gives you more flexibility.

True. But IBIS comes into its own on long lenses. For short, fast primes, it is a luxury that just does not pay off that much. For moving subjects, you need fast shutter anyway. For non moving subjects you have time to shoot a burst or to brace.

That's why Nikon and Canon don't add stabilization to the high end short zooms. Not all that necessary.

IBIS is a big reason I chose an E-M5, but different people need different tools.

Of course. Lots of people obsess about IBIS or weather sealing. This is the camera for them. I obsess about comfort of the body in hand and about price. My answers are different

The OM-D could use better interface, but I don't find it gets in the way of shooting. Aperture and exposure comp are the settings I change the most, by a large margin, and the camera has two wheels. Most everything else I care about is easily accessible. Another case of "different people need different tools."

Yes. My point was only that both are quite satisfactory and that photographers are supposed to learn the equipment anyway.

How condescending. I am very experienced and I prefer the G5 hands down.

There's a pervasive notion that you can't be a serious photographer if you prefer *that* camera. It's absurd.

Agreed.

Nice shots on your blog and the name is spectacular. But you need more posts

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow