P7700 lens cap

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sdh Regular Member • Posts: 204
P7700 lens cap

I bought a P7700 recently (initial impressions post to come once I spend some more time with it).

But something thing that disappoints me initially is the lens cap. I appreciate that the lens front element is probably too big for a self-covering mechanism, but I rather wish Nikon had used a push-on cap (and one that pushes off automatically via lens extension).  And why on earth is there not a tethering loop?  I just find the tiny clip on cap unnecessarily fiddly and it screams DSLR lens wannabe. (Note that I'm not at all knocking the lens itself!)

But anyway, I got to remembering that years ago, I shot with an APS film point and shoot which had a big-ish lens and no automatic cap (and actually no provision to even mount a cap). (It was a Minolta Vectis 40, if anyone's wondering.)  I still have this camera and the lens is in perfect shape, despite being inserted, stored, and removed to and from a case w/ the lens bare.

So my question is, would you think it crazy to just go capless, assuming the camera is used with a good clean case with soft inner surface?

sdh's gear list:sdh's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 NEX5R Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow