Sony 16-50 kit lens

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: Sony 16-50 kit lens

Bart Hickman wrote:

I hadn't noticed the color cast--perhaps the AWB compensates for it or something.

The observation of softness on the edges are certainly valid.

The observation of the vignetting are academically interesting, but aren't a valid complaint IMO because the lens is wider than 16mm in RAW mode. It was designed to achieve 16mm after correction which it more-or-less does. Yes, it throws away a lot of pixels, but I quit counting pixels back at 10M. There's no sacrifice of pixel density in the central area of the image. Few wide angle lenses achieve pixel perfect resolution at the edges so having lower pixel density at the edges isn't hurting much.

Has anyone actually measured the focal length?  It could be 16mm including the black corners and 17 or 18 mm corrected for example.

My issue is other software corrected lenses I have used actually have good corner performance before corrections.  The issue is Sony isn't making the image circle large enough so they can make it 16mm.  It should really be called an 18 or 20 to 50mm lens.

I used to think Sony lenses had bad corner performance on the E mount because of short flange distance, but I think I have since decided that the corner performance issues are from using too small of image circles, which appear to be designed for a 1.6 or 1.7x crop factor sensor, at least on their consumer lenses (not the 24mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8).

You won't ever see IBIS on NEX because of this issue, the shake reduction mechanism would move the sensor out of the image circle.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow