D800 Focus Problem Continues -- Your Insight Requested

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP johnosthus Regular Member • Posts: 386
Re: D800 Focus Problem Continues -- Your Insight Requested

I did some actual photography on the street and finally realized two things. One is that the 24-70 is front focusing by 6 inches out of 3 feet. It came up with one shot of an M5 logo in which I noticed a leaf 1 foot behind the car was crispy. A doll head stuck on a fence was another target, but a different doll head 6 inches closer was the one in focus. The other discovery is that my 105 2.8 was much better.

So I broke out the ruler at home and found the 24-70 was in fact way into front-focus land, and the 105 was showing the same, but "only" by 3 inches at 3 feet.

I have run out of "fine tune" with the 24-70. And I haven't quite got the 105 right as it is still off at plus 15.

So it makes me wonder how my camera could have passed inspection when it was at Melville. The focus is in fact much worse than I sent it with.

Given infinite time, a photograph will manifest itself that is not a focus-accuracy exception covered by page 100. This is, perhaps, the first such case.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow