Compared with M9 test shots don't make the best of the camera

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wilsonlaidlaw Junior Member • Posts: 25
Compared with M9 test shots don't make the best of the camera

I note that the RAW test shots for the M9 are taken with the 75 Summarit and using the compressed RAW files, from the file size. Also the lens is set at F11, by which small aperture, it is definitely past its best. I have this lens and I consider it the weakest of all my modern Leica lenses other than the mid angle Tri-Elmar, which is a rather special case.

If the shots are intended to show the Leica M9 at its best, it would be fairer to use one of the better lenses, a 50mm Summilux ASPH or 35 Summilux FLE. If you want to use a longer lens, either the 75 or 90 APO Summicrons would be more representative of current Leica lens performance rather than the poorest model from their budget range. The file format used should also be the uncompressed DNG format, which is what most use and shows the real capabilities of camera and lens.

-- hide signature --

Wilson Laidlaw

wilsonlaidlaw's gear list:wilsonlaidlaw's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow