Are there any waterproof cameras that can shoot in RAW mode?

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pentaxfun Forum Member • Posts: 81
Are there any waterproof cameras that can shoot in RAW mode?

And yes, I know there are those expensive, elaborate waterproof casings that you can but to put on a DSLR or a Canon G12 or stuff like that, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

Rather, the types of cameras I'm asking about are those waterproof compact cameras that are already built waterproof to begin with, like, without any especial casing or anything, like those pentax rubberized tough/waterproof cameras, etc, or the other similar types of cameras offered by the other various companies.

Of the few waterproof compact cameras I've found so far browsing through the different camera brands' camera lineups and searching through the specifications lists, I haven't found any yet that are BOTH waterproof AND are RAW-capable.  I've seen one, or the other, but not both in the same camera.

That said, I'm not sure whether I've found all of the waterproof cameras yet, as it would take a long time to search each and every camera in existence in each and every brand's total camera lineup, there are thousands and thousands of cameras, and I don't know which ones are the waterproof ones.  I mean, some of them I found fairly easily because they were in one of those group-test thingies, and a few just have that rubberized/waterproof type of look that made me know to click on them and look at their specs, but, I'm sure there's probably a few that I missed due to not being able to know which random cameras are waterproof in the various brands' camera lineups, so, there are probably some which I've not been able to check to see if they have RAW capability or not.

I hope there is at least one random one that has RAW ability, cuz that would be pretty lame/stupid if there's all these various waterproof cameras and not ONE single one of them offers RAW shooting.  I mean wtf.  At the very least they should do the twin-model thing of offering like a $50 or $100 or whatever price increase on the B-type model of the same camera with identical specs except for having added RAW ability to it, like, the way for example with those canon superzooms cameras there was the SX10IS and then there was the SX1IS or something, and they were like exactly identical except one was a little more expensive cuz it had RAW ability added to it.  I wish they would do something like that for one of the waterproof compact cameras.

That way you could process your RAW underwater photographs in Lightroom, instead of having to just process the JPEGs, which has way less headroom/doesn't yield as much processing quality/ability to be done in lightroom, by comparison.

Anyways, so yea if anyone knows of one that shoots RAW, please tell me which model it is.  And if there isn't one, then, that sucks, and hopefully some of you will agree with me that that sucks and we can all be like "I feel your pain bro..." at each other and sit around stewing in extreme anger/sadness about it for a few minutes, and at least feel some small measure of comfort in knowing that at that very moment, scattered across random points around the globe, there are other camera-people who are sitting in a state of great unhappiness about the same thing, at the same moment in time, and be able to feel at least somewhat better knowing that there are others to share this horrific doomed state of existence/misery with, that there aren't any camera companies that are non-aholish enough to remember to make at least just 1 random freaking waterproof compact camera that finally has RAW ability for once instead of just making each and every one of them all randomly happen to be JPEG-only.

Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow