5D3 + 50L + Outer AF points = Much Sadness

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,506
5D3 + 50L + Outer AF points = Much Sadness

After hours and hours of reading about the 50L I pulled the trigger a month ago.

As soon as I got it I ran around the house at 1.2 and bang, bang, bang shot off several dozen shots.  Single focus point  (center cross point), adequate shutter speed, and low ISO where possible.  Deep breath; squeezzzze the release.

Fantastic photographer that I am; all were in focus.  Textbbok 50L material.  Ready for 500px.

Grateful to have a "good" copy that didn't even require MFA.  Grateful to be a smart guy that could master a difficult lens on my first outing.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving.  Again I ran around the house carefully, no, very carefully, capturing friends and family.  Hold still now and let me capture your near eye; you'll thank me later.

You know what's coming.   They were, by and large, lousy OOF pictures.

Geez; this is the crappy lens that they were all talking about.  Maybe I should get an RA from B&H and get a good copy.

Nooooooo, you were enjoying champagne and wine that day.  Perhaps photographing "under the influence".

I'll test again tomorrow.   Bang, bang,bang.  A hundred Friday photos of flowers and knick-knacks around the house.  All perfect.  Textbook 50L magic.

What gives?

A fabulous lens thats great for static "stuff" but bad for people?

Well I happened upon this article:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1244046

Hmmmmm.   I was using the center point for all those things.   What did I use for people?  The outer focus points.  Why?  Because I read Roger's article at lensrentals.com regarding shooting with fast lenses.  Don't focus and recompose he said; you won't get away with it.

So, in response, I dutifully composed my picture and moved my focus point as necessary to an outer cross-type AF point.

Was that the problem?

Well, for me. and for my combo, the answer seems to be yes.

I can nail focus all day long with that 50L and my center point but the peripherals ain't worth squat.  It seems that there is no way to make the outers consistent with the centers if the above article is to be believed.

Seems I need to center my subjects and crop to create compositional off-sets with this lens.

Any constructive comments on my experiences and/or this camera/lens combo would be much appreciated!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow