Lens for e-420

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Questions thread
Brian Steele Contributing Member • Posts: 636
Re: Lens for e-420

jona118 wrote:

Hi all,

New to the sight and wondered if anyone can help me. I'm very new to photography and treated myself to the e-420 whilst in America. It came with a 14-42mm lens but I'm looking for something with a bigger zoom on it. I bought a Sigma 70-210 off eBay but it doesn't fit. Can anyone help and let me know which lenses to look for to buy please?

Cheers

Jona118

Among the other lenses mentioned in this thread, you could consider the 18-180, which provides the widest zoom range.  Image quality isn't as good as the other lenses mentioned though.  It really depends on what you plan to do with images.

FWIW, the one and only lens that anyone really needs to get for the Exxx series is the 12-60mm.  Yes, it's expensive, and yes you will get lens shadow if you use the builit-in flash with the lens set anywhere under 25mm, but the quality is excellent and the aperture range of the 12-60 is a much better match for the low light limitations of the series.  I used to use the 18-180, and now I use the 12-160 and the 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300 remain quite idle on my shelf.

A cheaper alternative is the 50mm F2, which doesn't have zoom capability (you'll be surprised how easily you adapt, btw), but it is less expensive and doesn't produce the lens shadow effect when the camera's built-in flash is used and, like the 12-60, has an aperture range that's a much better match for the low light limitations of the Exxx series.

-- hide signature --
 Brian Steele's gear list:Brian Steele's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow