Tamron SP 70-300 F/4-5.6 on Sony A57

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Questions thread
cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,818
Re: Tamron SP 70-300 F/4-5.6 on Sony A57

perrydo wrote:

Anyone tried this combination? If so, what sort of ISO would I need to work it in weddings and receptions? It's on sale for $449.00 with a $100 rebate (from Tamron not some other company that specializes in taking as long as possible to give you the rebate).

Thanks

I'm still working on getting better at how to adjust these settings together in practice myself.

But I'll give you my best guess...

On the short end, under 100mm, your max aperture is going to be f4. Keeping a shutter speed of 1/100 as a minimum, if the wedding and/or reception is inside, or the reception in the evening, without a lot of light, you could expect the ISO to go over 800.

Increase the focal length past 200mm, the aperture probably gets to f5.6, the "general rules" dictating a shutter speed of 1/focal length end up faster than 1/200th of a second. If it's not daylight, or very well lit, you're easily getting past ISO 800.

It's a great lens, but probably not too good for the situation you are faced with. I use mine outside for shooting wildlife and love it. If I was going to a wedding or reception, I'd be taking a f2.8 telephoto zoom or fast primes instead. And I don't think I would find anything in the 150-300mm focal length at all useful inside with a crowd involved.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow