Carbon fibre tripod recommendations

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
dodgyexposure Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: Carbon fibre tripod recommendations

I have 2 tripods:

1.  Manfrotto 055cxpro3 with a Markins Q10 ballhead; and

2.  Sirui T2204X with Sirui K30X ballhead.

The Manfrotto is a sturdy and light (about 1.6kg) set of legs, and I like the ability to convert the vertical centre column to horizontal (I find it most useful for macro shooting, allowing me to get low quickly and easily, or to move the camera away from the central vetical axis of the tripod for a different perspective).  It is tall enough that I (I'm 6'3") use it without raising the centre column.

The Markins ballhead is fantastic - solid, smooth and stable.  More expensive than the other options that you mention, though.

The combination is relatively light (about 2 kg), but long, at about 75cm folded length.

I recently purchased, primarily as a travel/hiking tripod, the Sirui.  It folds down to 42 cm.  It is solid and stable, but not as tall as the 055 legs.  I would say that the Sirui legs are of comparable quality to the Manfrotto.  The Sirui ballhead is quite good, but not as excellent as the Markins.

Here are the 2 side by side, for folded length comparison:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow