Best MILC for Shooting Figure Skating?

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Questions thread
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770
Re: A counter point...

iancrowe wrote:

My memory is not as bad as I thought it was. A quick search brings up this page from Photography On The Netand as far as I can see it's 20% discount off Canon refurbished bodies if you trade in an old Canon P&S (or film camera). Now admittedly it is a year old (page seems to have been updated in Feb 2012) but it wouldn't do the OP any harm to ring the number and see if the offer

No it would not hurt to base her decision on facts rather than my theories.

A quick scour of KEH and B and H indicates a D3 body is outside the OP's budget let alone allowing for a lens. However a D300s plus a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 runs in at $1580 from B and H ($730 for the lens and $850 for the body ). Which leaves $120 out of the OP's budget for memory cards and a monopod.

Which sort of keeps us both happy you get the Nikon body I get the f/2.8 lens. Sounds like a result?

Ian

I think the d3 (or any sports capable full-frame) would be too heavy to be fun to most young girls.  I know my son (12) prefers his Canon bridge cam to my Nikon because I shoot FX and often at f2.8.  He was more interested in using my Canon 500d and Nikon d90 before I sold them.   But that Sigma is reasonably light and reasonably compact for a f2.8 fast focusing lens.

And yes, I think that would be a good solution to getting a complete sports kit for under 1700.

I see that the rumored specs for the 7d II for feb 2013 include a new sensor.  Hope it closes the low light gap and thereby scares Nikon into cutting their prices on the d400... would make for a lovely companion to my d700.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow