24-85 vs 18-105
In my view there is no reason to buy a 24-85 for DX cameras. You have better/cheaper options in the DX offerings. But to answer your questions anyway, here is how I see it:
1) Is the IQ of the 18-105 equal to the 24-85 in the shared range? Particularly wrt color, contrast, and clarity.
The IQ of the 18-105 is very good, you won't see significant difference.
2) Is the IQ of the 18-105 better than the 18-55 in the shared range, wrt the same things?
I guess it is sharper and overall behaviour is better (CA, vignetting, flare...etc.)
3) Is there a significant difference in the size & weight? It looks like the 24-85 is shorter and bigger around, but not by much. It's hard to tell without actually holding them though.
It is very hard to imagine a smaller and lighter lens than the 18-105. It is really tiny and light compared to any other zooms of similar range.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!