Best MILC for Shooting Figure Skating?

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Questions thread
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770
Re: No MILC yet for what you need.

MicheleR wrote:

Thank you so much! I will start looking at used D3s. I can always get her a good lens now, and upgrade to a better lens when the budget allows it That was one of my concerns; I need a great camera body now with the potential to add great lenses later. This info from her post is invaluable!

A used d3s is going to be HUGELY over budget.  I believe Bill was suggesting a used d3 instead. A d3 is a step below the d3s.  However I would suggest the d700 over the d3 they have the same sensor but the d700 is slightly newer and so has in camera sensor-cleaning which the d3 lacks also the d3 is larger and heavier (like a d700 with a built in "add-on" battery pack/hand grip.

I have a d700 and have used a d300, and I think for a skating ring a d300 would be better.  The d700 is a nicer camera especially in low light.  But the d300 makes your lenses seem longer which given the size of a rink is nice.

With a d700 you would probably need a 200-400vr lens (which costs 5500 used).  While with a d300 you can probably get away with a 70-200 like the previously mentioned Sigma for under 1000 or a used Nikon 70-200vr for between 1000-1500.  You could possibly use a d700 + the sigma lens and a 1.4x TC for a 105-280mm lens and shoot at f4.5-5 (giving up roughly 1/3 to 1/2 stop of light).

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow