Best MILC for Shooting Figure Skating?

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Questions thread
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770
Re: That's asking a lot

MicheleR wrote:

Thank You! I have been thinking the same - sports photography has been around longer than autofocus! I will check out the d300. I can also look for a used USM.

The Nikon d300 is a very good value used.  It can be had very cheaply in comparison to every other camera in its class.  It is still competitive in low light performance compared to the Canon 7d.

Pair it with aSigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II  and you have a workable solution.  That Sigma lens will not match a Nikon 70-200vr lens in image quality, but it focuses fast enough to allow tracking of the skaters.  I used one before upgrading to the Nikon for a little better image quality (particularly at the long end of the zoom), had weather sealing (sports happen in the rain) also the Nikon was just a little faster focusing.  But the Nikon was bigger and heavier too.

It might be possible to get both a used d300 and a used Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR and remain close to budget.  I know someone who recently bought both for around 2000.00, which is less then I paid for the lens alone.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow