EOS-M using the Canon 100mm IS L-Series MACRO Lens (PICS)

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,250
EOS-M using the Canon 100mm IS L-Series MACRO Lens (PICS)

​EOS-M with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (lens hood removed)

I bought the EOS-M exclusively for use with THIS particular lens: the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. After a few days of using the EOS-M with other lenses, I forced myself to give up the other lenses and got around to mounting the 100mm Macro lens (above) ...and took the camera with me to work today.

AF with the EOS-M and the 100mm IS Macro lens:

"First impressions always last". Or so they say. My first impression of the 100mm lens is that it is the slowest lens I have used with the EOS-M. We're talking about delays as long as 8 seconds in some instances where there's no contrast in the subject to allow the AF to lock on. Longer if the lens can't find anything to lock onto.  That's a long delay. Nothing like the other large L-Lenses I was using yesterday and certainly slower than the already slow 50mm f/1.2L lens that I was using. However, if the focus is already close to locked before the shutter button is half depressed, the AF is fast. Perhaps half-a-second long. But most of the time, the lens would do a quick scan of the scene by running the focus throughout the subject. Then it does a slow hunt to lock in on the area of interest. Then it seems to jack about for a more accurate focus lock on occasion, but not all the time.

I just aimed my lens at the computer screen and it locked focus in 1 second. I then aimed it at the other side of my computer monitor where there was an open Facebook page and it took half a second to lock focus. Then, shifting to a subject across the room, it took 5 seconds to lock onto my television logo (illuminated Sony logo). When the camera does an AF scan, it softens and blurs the image for a moment as the lens runs through the focus range. This means you might not frame your subject easily if the screen is a complete blur and you're trying to track something with the camera.

RESULTS:

The results from this lens are excellent. It's hard not to like the pictures it takes. The Image Stabilizer works extremely well and the accuracy of the Auto-focus is usually dead-on. Colors are accurate and the images are both detailed and silky smooth, depending on the amount of Bokeh generated with each shot. Shooting larger non-macro scenes results in lovely background softening or Bokeh but it's in the Macro environment that this lens does what it was designed for.

THOUGHTS:

I like this lens. I've used it before for work but I only made the decision to buy one for myself when the EOS-M was announced. It's a hell of a lot faster on an actual DSLR but the results obtained via the EOS-M are certainly good enough for most hobbyists and even professional applications - IF you can stomach the slow resolving of the lens at a crucial moment. It works, it's accurate and it's a little slow for shot-to-shot photographs. But it's consistently accurate and the pictures are appealing to the eye. If you already own this lens you may feel disappointed in how slow the AF is when you place it on the EOS-M ...but I find it is still a very practical lens to own and that (as you can see below), you can still nail some reasonable picture with it that few other lenses can come close to. When the EOS-M 'ProX' (or whatever they call it) is released in 2013, it's probably going to use the new sensors that Canon patented this year and the focus should be faster since the design was produced especially for this upcoming camera to (and I quote) "reduce 'Hunting' " - where the lens hunts for an accurate focus on a subject.

Until such a camera is released, the EOS-M works just fine with this lens... it's just slower than any other lens due to the weird need for the lens (and sensor) to scan the whole scene before honing in on the focus region. NOTE: It's stunningly useful when Manual Focus is used. The focus ring runs smoothly on this lens and you can lock the shot in an instant in Manual Focus mode.

Coupled with the 5x to 10x LCD zoom to determine focus and you have a VERY powerful lens. Of the shots below, the only shot taken with Manual Focus was the Ballpoint Pens.

​My cat Mauii happened to lay between my desk and the Christmas lights in the hallway.

​The tip of a ballpoint pen (in all its glory) on my work desk this afternoon.

​Pollen granules on a Hibiscus flower near my parked car today (worth a closer look)

​Two VERY small gold coins which are each about the size of your thumbnail in diameter.

​Bolts in a wooden fence beside my parked car.

​Dandelion on the pavement beside my parked car.

​Not my car but this is the automatic parking ticket machine I had to use.

​A tiny parasitic fly (about 6mm long) laying eggs in the hollow of a tree.

​Tiny flowers on the side of the road.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jim
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow